Farewell, Camelot

Photo Nicole Perdigon

Senior newspaper staff members pose for one last picture together.

Senior Staff Members

Editor’s Note: With only one month left of high school, the seniors on staff took the opportunity to give their final thoughts on their time both at Robinson and in journalism. This year, the seniors helped lead RHSToday.com to a gold ranking at the Florida Scholastic Press Association (FSPA) and a high silver ranking for the Knight Writers newspaper. The staff also managed to publish everyday for over 50 days in their second semester.

Ashlea Daniels, Features Editor

I’ve done journalism since I was in seventh grade. Coming into high school, I thought I was amazing. Ms. Burns and my editor, Isabel, quickly showed me I was wrong.

I can’t begin to explain the impact that this program and this school has had on me. I made some of my best friends and best memories in 112. Advisers and staffs changed and this year we merged the newspapers, but what stays the same for me is that 112 is my escape.

Thank you to Isabel and Oben for shaping me into the writer I am today. I want to give a big thanks to one of my best friends, Kaitlyn, who I could always go to for a catchy headline or transitions when I needed it.

I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future or if I’ll ever write another story after I leave, but I can say I will always hold this place with me, 112: you will be missed.

Cilicia Anderson, Opinion Editor

Dear Freshman,

These next couple of years are going to be long I’m not going to lie to you. There will be times where your patience will be tested and when you question if graduating from high school will be worth it.

I promise you it will be.

The satisfaction of having graduated high school makes all those years of putting up with people and waking up early for school worth it because you finally have the opportunity to be independent and free to make your own choices and decisions.

Throughout your life, you will be told to do things you don’t want to do. A rule that I’ve always had to follow is this: do what you need to do before you do what you want to do. It’s something I live by in order to greater appreciate doing things I actually enjoy.

School work may seem unimportant and you may be uninterested in a subject, but you need to open up as many opportunities for your future as you can and you can’t do that by putting out your best work while in school.

If I am to offer you any advice to take with you during your high school journey it would be this: don’t let your future be determined by anyone else. It’s not worth it. There’s going to be people that try to push you to your breaking point. There’s always going to be people that feel the need to talk about you for no reason. There is always going to be unavoidable drama that you will go through your entire life.

Ignore what everyone else has going on and get through these next four years and put your all into your work because the better you do in school, the less money you’ll have to pay out of pocket if you plan on going to college.

Find a way out, don’t blow things off because you don’t feel like dealing with it in that moment. Don’t settle for being average and don’t let other people bring out your bad side. Focus on bettering yourself as an individual and growing as a person.

The sooner you realize every little fight and conflict you engage in now is going to effect you in the future, the sooner you will be able to avoid situations like that all together. Even if you don’t know what you want to do right now at this moment, you should want to have every opportunity available to you by the time your senior year comes around.

Make the most out of the next few years. Have fun, don’t be scared to let people go and to allow yourself to grow. Be okay with who you are and do the things you enjoy and just have a good time. Get as involved as you can, the more you’re involved the more fun you will have whether it’s sports or clubs, there’s something for everyone. Don’t be afraid to break out of your comfort zone. If you do choose to do something out of your normal routine, you could end up finding out something about yourself you’ve never known before.

Athena Crews, Staff Writer

Entering high school, I never imagined I would become a journalism kid until sophomore year when picking electives. I chose it because I was told it would be an “easy A” from my classmates, but after joining, I fell in love.

The journalism staff and teacher were so welcoming and Room 112 soon became my second home. These last three years, I have made some of the best memories, had the best laughs, and have shared many emotions with my friends and family in Room 112. I’ll always remember the yelling, crying, and running. The arguments and the hugs. The stress and celebrations.

Thank you to Ms. Oben and Lillian for making these last three years the best!! 🙂

Andrew McMillan, Staff Writer

If I were to sum up my high school experience in a few words, I really don’t think I could. I made a lot of good decisions, and I made a lot of bad ones. I hurt people, I helped people, I have made people cry, laugh, pulled people back from the brink and pushed them to it. I never knew high school would be like this and I’m glad it was. I learned more than I thought I would, to be completely honest, but I loved high school. I loved cross country to the point of almost injuring myself a few times, I loved baseball to the point of almost giving up cross country, and I loved all my friends the most. You know who you are if you are reading this– you know you have affected my life, hopefully in a positive way.

So if I really had to describe Robinson in a few words I would have to go back to the cross country chant we would use before every race. Heart and Soul. Goodbye, Robinson.

Tahj Phillips, Staff Writer

Honestly, I don’t think I can say much about Robinson as it didn’t have a lot to offer from the start. I didn’t hate it per se; I’ve made many lifelong friends along the way and that’s something I won’t take for granted. If there was one thing I wish Robinson had more of, it’s school spirit and overall student participation in events held around the school. The lack of that contributed to how I’ve viewed this school since the beginning.

Through my four years here, I realized that you can practically throw away social and academic life your first two years and still thrive in the next two, although I don’t encourage doing so. There were some fun times, then there were the days where I wished I transferred when I had the chance.

In one word, I’d say it was average, but to each their own.

Abby Meyer, Staff Writer

Goodbye journalism, goodbye swim, and goodbye Robinson High School. I moved here at the beginning of junior year, Robinson being my 11th school since kindergarten, and also the biggest school I had ever attended. But it ended up being the perfect fit for me.

Everyday in my mind I thank Anna Thomas for asking me to join journalism. If she wouldn’t have done so, I think I would’ve lost my passion for photography, but I also learned how much I love to write and how amazing journalism is, thanks to her.

I’m going to miss taking pictures at the Friday night football games, but most of all I’m going to miss all of the amazing people I’ve met here at Robinson who have made my transition into my last two years of high school so easy.

Thanks for the endless amounts of laughter, the stress, and of course C lunch.

Again, thank you so much Robinson.