Brady Leaves for Circus

Photo I. Giovannetti

Brady practices for his new career.

Leana Pustam, Staff Writer

Ever since he was three, IB Coordinator Gary Brady’s parents forced him to work through long hours of vigorous practice to prepare for his dream occupation – an all-star stilt-walking juggler.

“I’ve always dreamed of becoming part of a circus,” said Brady. “As a toddler, I always found places where I could do circus tricks.”

Brady tried out for a stilt-walking juggler part in the world-renowned Cirque Du Soleil when he was 10 and again when he was 16. When they turned him down, his dreams were crushed  he lost hope.

“I was the most devastated 16-year-old boy you have ever seen.” said Brady. “I decided that being part of a circus wasn’t the best career choice, so I started to pursue a job as an IB coordinator.”

Aside from the circus, he had also been interested in education. When he was offered the job of IB Coordinator and Assistant Principal at Robinson, he was excited to take it. He never stopped practicing his juggling and stilt-walking outside of school because of his continuous passion and excitement from it.

Last Friday, Cirque Du Soleil hosted tryouts at the Amalie Arena, which they only hold once every 5 years. Brady decided to try out one last time – and he made it.

“I love working at Robinson, but I think it’s time for me to go,” he said. “The thought of being a stilt-walking juggler for Cirque Du Soleil gives me an adrenaline rush, and now that I have the opportunity to be one for this world-famous group, there’s no way I can pass it up.”

Brady’s last day is Thursday. There will be a going away party for him on Thursday from 1:45 to 2:45 in the gymnasium. His last words to his beloved students and faculty at Robinson are “April Fools’!”