Robinson students shine in Tampa Art Museum’s Fall Exhibition

Alanna Felton, A&E Editor

On Friday, October 20, the teen council at Tampa Museum of Art hosted their second annual Fall High School Exhibition. The jurried show featured art from students through Tampa, and included work by several Robinson students. Robinson’s own Ian Miller (’18) took first place in the show for his Orilla, an epoxy resin piece. Miller, whose work was shown in the exhibition last year as well but who is a first-time winner, called the show an “amazing experience”.

The teen council noted an increase in the number submissions in this year’s exhibition, for which they  accepted 35 artworks out of 164. Council members were also impressed by the quality of work they received. “Last year we had a lot of talent as well, but this year we had a really hard time narrowing it down,” council member Bella Seelkg said.

Mary Wilson, Robinson’s art teacher, was pleased by the Robinson students’ performance, though she encourages students who weren’t accepted to the exhibition not to get discouraged. She thinks the primary purpose of art shows should be exposure, not competition.

“I think it’s good for art students to get out or into a museum where they can see other kids’ art,” Wilson said. “It broadens your horizons.”